Infinite Eternal Jukebox
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is this? - For when your favorite song just isn't long enough. This web app lets you
search a song on Spotify and will then generate a never-ending and ever changing version of the song. It does what
Infinite Gangnam Style did but for any song.
- How does it work? - We use the Spotify
API to break the song into beats. We play the song beat by beat, but at every beat there's a chance
that we will jump to a different part of song that happens to sound very similar to the current beat. For beat similarity
we look at pitch, timbre, loudness, duration and the position of the beat within a bar. There's a nifty visualization
that shows all the possible transitions that can occur at any beat.
- Are there any ways to control the song? Yes - here are some keys:
- [space] - Start and stop playing the song
- [left arrow] - Decrement the current play velocity by one
- [right arrow] - Increment the current play velocity by one
- [Down arrow] - Sets the current play velocity to zero
- [control] - freeze on the current beat
- [shift] - bounce between the current beat and all of the similar sounding beats. These are the
- 'h' - Bring it on home - toggles infinite mode off/on.
- What do the colored blocks represent? - Each block represents a beat in the song. The colors are related
to the timbre of the music for that beat.
- How can I tune the Jukebox? - For detailed tuning instructions see Tuning the Infinite Jukebox on Music
Machinery. This is an experimental feature. You can tune by clicking the tune button.
Adjust the slider to the left for higher audio quality, and adjust the slider to the right for more branch points. You
can also delete any edge by clicking on it to select it (when selected the edge turns red). Delete the edge by
pressing the [del] key. The Infinite Jukebox will try hard to maximize the amount of the song that is played when in
infinite mode. This behavior can be turned off by de-selecting the 'Loop Extension Optimization' checkbox. If we don't
get the track right for the song you request, you can change the audio by putting in a YouTube URL into the Audio URL box. You can
throw away all of your tunings by pressing the 'reset' button. You can share your tuned songs, all your edits are
encoded in the URL.
- How come this doesn't work in my browser? - The app requires the web audio APIs
which are currently best supported in Chrome and Safari. You can read more details about this issue in this blog post:
the Infinite Jukebox work only in Chrome and Safari.
- How come the Infinite Jukebox stops when I put the tab in the background? -
Infinite Jukebox wants your full attention! Also,
processing that is required for the Infinite Jukebox. However, you can open the jukebox in its own window and
minimize it without any of the stuttering problems.
- I have an awesome infinite track that I'd like everyone to hear. What do I do? - You can tweet it with the tags
#infinitejukebox and #halloffame, or you can submit it to the InfiniteJukebox
- Who made the cool logo? - The logo was contributed by Jasper Allijn.
- Who made this? - Paul Lamere at Music Hack Day Boston on November
11, 2012. More info at Music Machinery
- Wasn't this originally somewhere else? - The original project was made and hosted by
Paul Lamere, however it is now hosted by UnderMybrella with the appropriate permission.
- The audio seems to be jumping really randomly! Why? - There's a couple of reasons this could be - The most likely being that the audio file we found for your song
doesn't match up perfectly with the version that Spotify has, which means you'll experience jumps at points that there shouldn't be throughout a song.
The solution to this is to find a version of it that matches up to the version on Spotify as close as possible . In the future, there may be a way to upload
a version if you can't find one online, but for now that's the best you've got.
If you do have a song that seems to be synchronised perfectly, but still seems to jump randomly, feel free to file an issue here
- Something's not working! - This is still a fairly early build, so there may be some bugs in the server. If you have an issue that is repeatable, please file an issue here